Friday, January 22, 2016

Story Excerpt thing

*This is different from what I usually post on this blog, but I wanted to test it out! :)
It's an excerpt from the story I was working on since October. thing.
anyway this isn't the beginning, it's more like several chapters into the story. So yeah. C:

[btw Bryce is Samantha (main character person's) older pirate-brother and Shay is an aristocrat person. xD idk just to clarify.]

~~~~~~

"U-uh, I have to leave now," I said quickly, standing up. Rance looked up from his seat, still chewing. "Uh, I have to get home. I'm late,"
"Wait, wait!" He half-stood up, all too fast, "I'm sure we still have some time, besides, we didn't even get to the best part yet!"
I blinked, startled at his insisting all of a sudden. But then I shook my head. "I-I'm sorry, but I really have to go."
"Can't you stay for ten more minutes? Just a dance?" His green eyes were soft as he stared down at me, and his jaw slightly set. Why did it have to come to this?
"I really have to go..." I repeated again, in a small whisper. He probably didn't hear it. If it were any other day, I would not hesitate to agree. If I were really Ana, maybe. But no, my nerves were already shaking, I doubted they could take much more of the suspense and acting for one night.
"I will ask you as your fiance," Rance's deep voice seemed to purr as he bent down, "may I have this dance?"
I felt my blood throb through my chest as I looked down at him, tense. How could I refuse now? It was as if he was forcing me. I cursed my sorry hide in my head. Why did I agree to do this mission again?
"A-alright," I said quickly, trying to lock my nervousness temporarily, "just once dance. I really have to get home."
At that Rance grinned. A genuine smile. He was so real while I was so fake. Yes, it made me feel like a criminal alright. Like a spy. Gracefully, Rance led me to the dancefloor. There were countless other couples, and they all seemed to know what they were doing. I pleaded with my legs to work with me, even if I didn't know the rythme. I tried to watch the other women's moves and try to imitate them. Rance was tall, but he seemed to be experianced. We swung around slowely, as if he was giving me time to adjust to his pace. And I took that chance to seriosuly try keeping up. Maybe this wasn't half bad, because I actually felt excited. Or maybe it was just my nerves again. Maybe it wasn't excitment, maybe it was anxiety. I felt Rance stare at me. Felt him study my face, hair by hair. To distract him, I spun, out of place, turning my head up at the same time. Yellow and purple colors flooded my blurred view. But there was something else... I gasped, stopping suddenly. From the second floor balcony, the short-haired man who had come in with Rance was looking down at us, a cross expression on his face. As soon as he noticed me, he drew his head back behind the curtain, no longer visible. Rance's brow wrinkled slightly as I snapped my own head back. "Who was that?" The question spurted out of my lips before I could stop it, before I could fade into reality.
"That?" Rance asked, glancing up at the curtains not half out of breath as I was, "Oh, just my Captain. You shouldn't be concerned about that." He paused teasingly, "Or, is is because you think he's more handsome than I am?"
"Oh, no no no!" I quickly dismissed under my breath. His Captain? He haden't told me anything of importance. He didn't tell me his name or anything. Just "Captain." Huh. The smell of wine was plain on his breath. Still drunk? I stopped first, panting. Rance was a good sport about it, although I could see that he was interested in taking another spin. But there was no way I was going to stay in this place another minute. It was hard work trying to break away from the young man, but I finally achieved it and stepped out the doors, music flooding out from behind me. "It's been a lovey night," Rance had said as he kissed the back of my hand earlier, causing me to blush. In a rather stupid way at that. Fresh air hitting my face was a relief the moment I was free. It was over. I had survived. Although I didn't have much to tell Bryce, I still did my job. I was done here. Never again am I going to do this, never again!

~~~~~


To be burned at the stake. Executed for treason. They said. And I was doomed. This would be my last day. My heart sank lowest than it had ever in my years. It wasn't even possible to try escaping, since I was blind. It wasn't even worth it. I should have known this would happen the moment the order came from Bryce. I'll bet he was counting his down payment right now. Even if I couldn't give him the information, he was still paid. And he would lie to get the rest of Shay's payment. I knew Bryce too well. Boots pattered down the hallway, stamping on the concrete floor. This was it. I swallowed, trying to hold down bile. There was a vibration in the wall as the cell door squeaked open. I should say something! Anything! Something to stop them, to tell them it was not my fault! It was not my fault..."Should I accompany you, Sir?" A nasal masculine voice to my right asked. I didn't turn my head. I didn't raise my head towards the voice. There wasn't a point, I couldn't see them. "No." There was a quiet reply, "You stand outside. Make sure nobody disturbs me."
Heels clicked. "Yes Sir." Echoes of the first man's steady footsteps went in a rhythm in my ears, getting further away. Like a poem. The poem to my death. I felt my stomach tighten. Disturb him? This wasn't going to be good. The echoes died away completely, and everything was deathly quiet. I sucked air sharply through my mouth, without meaning to, and strained my ears. There was faint breathing in the room other than my own.
Before I could imagine what could be going on or who my new companion was, a hand clasped the side of my head, causing me to tense up. My wrists wouldn't shake free.
"Do you," The man said, trailing his cold slender fingers down my face, "Do you want to live?"
His touch was disturbing. Before I could even take another breath, light flooded into my eyes as he pulled something off my face. The sudden change blinded me and I closed my eyes tight in response. Wait. I wasn't blind?! Opening my eyes cautiously, fluttering them up and down, wincing them, I tried to make things out. A dirty white blindfold was being held in front of my face in the dim light. I craned my neck higher. As soon as I saw the newcomer, a shudder passed through my body. I should have expected it. But for some reason right now I could not believe it.

"Do you want to live?" The man's cold voice pierced through the uncomfortable quietness of the room once more. I was still for a moment, another shudder automatically jogging up my spine. I looked up into the man's face again. I had pointed him out to Rance last night, the Captain in black robes, if I recalled. He looked to be about thirty one (if my judging of ages was right), had short cropped hair as dark as coal, scruffy sideburns to his jawline, and unfriendly brown eyes. His face was engraved in shadows and he looked impatient too.
What kind of stupid question was that? I nodded slowly, fear beginning to grip at my mind.  The memory of him glancing down at me while at Henry's ball flashed through my mind. What did he want?
"As I thought." He said, a thin smile playing upon his lips, "Then, Miss Arkadi, I have a bargain for you."
I swallowed dryly. How did he get my real name? Apparently he paused to create suspense because he went on, "I will only say this once, so pay attention. Either you stay here and face your... rather painful punishment for treason, or you join my crew."
I blinked. Now that was absurd. A ship captain, asking me aboard his vessel to save my life? But of course I couldn't over-think it now. It was either life or death. I didn't have anything to say for myself, he obviously knew that. "What's the catch?" I asked quietly, my voice steady, although I was anything but that.
The captain seemed amused. He rubbed his unshaven jaw. "Only the usual. You obey my every order, you do not get in trouble with my crew and my officers. Just like any other individual."
If I wasn't desperate to get out of Bryce's mistake, I'd ask, why the heck are you even talking to me? Seriously, now. I was just about to cause a war, and now I had the -- er - honor, of striking a bargain with one of Henry's captains? Seemed wrong to me. But who cares, as long as I get out of it alive?
"Deal. I won't do impossible things though."
He nodded slightly, puling out a key from his breast pocket. "Done, then."
With that, he leaned over me and unlocked the chains at my wrists. I immediately pulled them in front of me and started rubbing the sores. Red angry gashes stretched across my wrists because of the chains that were previously digging into my skin. I couldn't bear the thought of thanking him though. He wants me for something... Why else would he himself come free me? Heh. Not that I wasn't grateful, but it just seemed too fake. I'm not going to let my guard down. Those were my thoughts when I 'agreed' to the bargain. Choosing between ending my life now or being under his command... I'd put my finger on what he wanted from me later, the important thing now was to get out of here.
"Come." He said, standing outside the cell now, piercing me with a cold glance, which was enough to make any normal person squirm. I didn't mind though, I didn't care. Butterflies rustled around in my stomach again, and my ears burned.  I just hoped I wouldn't regret doing this.
~~~~~~~

I'm not sure if I'm going to be posting any more of these, but if you guys didn't get bored from the first sentence, I'd love to know if it was interesting or not. C:> I'm pretty sure there are grammar and structure mistakes I didn't notice and such, but I'm counting this as a draft so.
yeah well

1 comment:

  1. (k I'm back)
    YES! It MUST have deleted all the comments, because I KNOW for sure that Rolf and I sat down together and commented on this!
    Omg that's so sad! Whaaat D: I'm so sorry :(

    --Bru

    ReplyDelete